What the heck is a track workout?
I have yet to make it to a TNT Wednesday night track workout. And all my training says to do on Wednesdays is "track workout." Sometimes there is a little more information, like "timed 5k" next week. But in general, I have no clue what a track workout is. At 22 years old, I have just entered my athlete phase of life. This is it for me. There are no basketball or softball drills to recall, and I can't re-create that time when my track coach made me run sprints.
To date, I've kind of just avoided my Wednesday workouts and cross-trained or something. But starting Monday, I have decided to commit 100% to this training and really see what I can do. So today, I made up my own track workout. And I'm tired.
I normally run/walk at a 7:1 ratio. I have just recently worked myself up from 6:1, so 7:1 is still a little challenge for me. (I'm hoping to be up to 8:1 or 9:1 by the Chicago Marathon.) I thought about changing my ratio to push harder, but instead opted for go.as.fast.as.i.can.manage.while.in.the.run.part. And I'm pretty certain it worked. I know damn well that I am spent. I did 8 cycles of my 7:1 ratio for a total of 32 minutes, and I really pushed myself the whole time. I walked faster than normal, and when I ran, I ran. Then, for the last 7 minutes running, I ran even faster until I reached a sprint for the full last two minutes. I'm not sure if it's a track workout, but what I do know, is I am ready for my rest day tomorrow.
To date, I've kind of just avoided my Wednesday workouts and cross-trained or something. But starting Monday, I have decided to commit 100% to this training and really see what I can do. So today, I made up my own track workout. And I'm tired.
I normally run/walk at a 7:1 ratio. I have just recently worked myself up from 6:1, so 7:1 is still a little challenge for me. (I'm hoping to be up to 8:1 or 9:1 by the Chicago Marathon.) I thought about changing my ratio to push harder, but instead opted for go.as.fast.as.i.can.manage.while.in.the.run.part. And I'm pretty certain it worked. I know damn well that I am spent. I did 8 cycles of my 7:1 ratio for a total of 32 minutes, and I really pushed myself the whole time. I walked faster than normal, and when I ran, I ran. Then, for the last 7 minutes running, I ran even faster until I reached a sprint for the full last two minutes. I'm not sure if it's a track workout, but what I do know, is I am ready for my rest day tomorrow.


3 Comments:
there are a variety of speed workouts. you should make it to one of the speed workouts and try it out. it can seem scary at first, but then you'll start to get faster and you'll start looking forward to it :)
That's pretty close! Next time I would try 2-3 minutes hard, followed by 4-5 minutes of jogging, and then your 1 minute walk. However, I also second what miss petite america said - if you can make it to the group track workout, go! It's definitely scary at first, but you'll be fine. They kind of stink at first, but they really do make you faster, and it's much more fun to do them in a group.
I really want to make it to a track workout. Damn work. :o(
Post a Comment
<< Home