You Can't Play Mindgames on a Treadmill
Because Dubuque was rainier than rainy yesterday, I wound up inside, doing my 2 miles on a treadmill. Which started out okay, because none of the athletic teams were in the PAC, so I didn't have to start out by being mortified.
But then on the treadmill... I realized that part of what keeps me running is mind games. Since I was just inside, running on a machine, I couldn't play games like...
just keep running till the mailbox, come on, the mailbox...
alright made it to the mailbox, how about that car now, come on car...
okay, just to the corner, come on now, corner, yeah!
just to the driveway... ugh my legs feel like jelly... well if i keep going it will be done faster...
On a treadmill, there are no mailboxes, cars, or corners. That makes me sad. But I still did it! 2 miles. Woot!
And the best part: I have a training schedule. I made it myself, so I don't know how amazing it is. BUT it says that today is a rest day. Hoorah!
And I'm rambling illogically. Happy Friday everyone. :o)
But then on the treadmill... I realized that part of what keeps me running is mind games. Since I was just inside, running on a machine, I couldn't play games like...
just keep running till the mailbox, come on, the mailbox...
alright made it to the mailbox, how about that car now, come on car...
okay, just to the corner, come on now, corner, yeah!
just to the driveway... ugh my legs feel like jelly... well if i keep going it will be done faster...
On a treadmill, there are no mailboxes, cars, or corners. That makes me sad. But I still did it! 2 miles. Woot!
And the best part: I have a training schedule. I made it myself, so I don't know how amazing it is. BUT it says that today is a rest day. Hoorah!
And I'm rambling illogically. Happy Friday everyone. :o)


3 Comments:
yeah on the treadmill it's more like your mind playing games on you...but some days you get those good runs where you can conquer our own brain!! congrats to you!
I call running on the dreadmill the hamster dance. I feel like a flipping hamster just going around and around the belt. For me, anything over 4 miles on the dreadmill is just well...enough to make me go bonkers. Way to git 'er done!! :)
I didn't realize you were in Dubuque! We're doing the Galena Triathlon on May 20th...you should come over to hang out! They even have a duathlon, so if you have a bike (or one you can borrow) there is no excuse to not join in on the insanity!
One thing you might try is adjusting the speed or incline settings. Say to your self "Okay, when I get to .30 miles, I am going to increase the speed by .1 mph." And then you do that, and start thing "Okay, when I get to .5 miles, I am going to decrease speed by .2 mph but increase the incline by .5 degrees." Running on a dreadmill is kind of like being a hamster, but it does give you some practice for the boredom that can come with the really long runs.
Post a Comment
<< Home