Monday, January 08, 2007

If You're Coming Here Anyway & Surprising Encouragement

So, I see that Barb is the sweetest motivator in the world. And just in case some of you tried and true runners come my way... I have some questions for you...

1. What do you wear to run? So far it's just sweats for me... but what should I get when I upgrade to running gear?
2. What do you do on cross-training days?
3. What is your favorite song to run to? I'm working on making a killer running playlist.
4. What keeps you motivated?
5. And for the Chicagoans... where'd you get your shoes? My birthday is quickly approaching, and getting fitted for shoes is #1 on my birthday list!

I am so clueless, but so excited to be good at something. I am finding that running really is mostly mental, and I actually can push myself if I try. And thanks to wonderful people like Barb, I am starting to think that my goal of running the Chicago Marathon on 10.7.07 is actually attainable. Any advice is welcome from veteran runners out there!


And now for some exciting personal news... I was very nervous to tell my parents about my plans to run a marathon. My dad has run five, and I know they don't see me as a "runner" or even someone who will stick to the training. I was surprised when they didn't laugh out loud when I broke the news that I was planning on running. Last night, my mom was questioning about whether or not it was a good idea, and Dad said, "If she works at it, and trains properly, of course she can do it."

I haven't smiled so big in a long time. And then with Barb's post today... wow. I'm feeling inspired and excited to get up and run tomorrow!

8 Comments:

Blogger Garou said...

1) Clothes - I wear technical gear, available at Target and other non-running stores. (You can buy them at a running store too, but they cost more there.) Basically, you probably will want a fabric that wicks water away from you, expecially when the weather warms up. And that includes socks - cotton socks can be a major pain.

2) Cross-training is usually biking or rowing machine, but I generally get in some running even on those days. I keep meaning to add swimming to the mix, but it hasn't happened yet.

3) Depends. I aim for "bouncy" kind of songs - fast tempo, usually upbeat. Not everything in my playlist is that way, but it's a good rule of thumb. And, while I may not have "Eye of the Tiger", I do have the theme from Superman.

4) I sign up for a race far in advance, and start talking about it. It gives me a definite goal, and helps keep me going. Small local races are just as much help as big ones.

5) Not from Chicago, but I buy my shoes at Runners Edge (in Libertyville and Wilmette). I have heard some very good things about Fleet Feet as well.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Triseverance said...

Yea that Barb is a sweetie.

1 Technical Fabrics all shapes and sizes.

2 Watch TV lol ok sometimes I weight train and bike.

3 Currently its Coldplay Warning Sign but it changes daily.

4 Races and goals

5 I am not from Chicago but I love to visit.

Welcome to the RBF and to the wonderful world of running and runnign blogs.

My only advice is to make running fun, find the joy in it, it's there if you give it a chance, it will reward you for your efforts.

10:02 PM  
Blogger BeccaJoy said...

Hi Lauren,

I'm a new(ish) runner - I've been a regular exerciser for a long time but totally scared of running because of an old sports injury (bad achilles tendon). Anyway, this time around I decided I really wanted to be able to finish a race, so I am also signed up for the shamrock shuffle! I know it's short, but it's a start. We'll see where I get from there.

To answer your questions, though I'm no expert, I would say:

1) I wear leggings (some designed for running, some just normal) and a zip-up fleece or jacket that has zippered pockets. Real running socks (of which I was skeptical - who needs $8 socks??) have proven to be terrific.

2) I do the stairmaster and/or weight train three times a week (and run three times a week) - I have a little home stairmaster that's great.

3) Right now, REM's It's the End of the World is rocking my runs.

4) I also took the telling people about it route - now I can't back out, even if I wanted to!

5) I cannot emphasize enough the difference that getting properly fitted for real running shoes has made for me - every problem I've had when I've run in the past is gone. My achilles is fine, I'm not getting shin splints, I'm not twisting my ankles, even my knees feel better. I went to Runner's World in NYC for shoes, and they did the whole watch-you-run thing, both barefoot and in a bunch of shoes. It was totally worth it - I'm wearing Brooks Addiction7s and they're amazing (and less expensive than I expected at $89).

I don't have a blog, but I look forward to following your adventures on yours. Good luck with training!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Big Jay said...

all excellent question, darlin! So of course, I'm going to chime in, too. :)

1. In the winter, I'll wear running pants or tights (or both if it's ridiculously cold) with a technical shirt, vest and sometimes a fleece/windbreaker of some kind. Definitely go with technical gear. It pulls sweat away from your body. Cotton absorbs the sweat, making it heavier (and in the winter colder) when you run. Mizuno now has something called Breathe Thermo III, which wicks away the sweat and wetness mixes with a heat activating component in the fabric, actually making you warmer. Eastbay.com has the women's ones on sale now. :) And cotton is rotten!! Cotton socks WILL give you blisters, especially when you up your mileage. When you pick up your running shoes, get 2-3 pairs of running socks while you're there!!

2. Cross-training? What's that?! jk. I'm trying to get better about this. We recently bought bikes, so that'll be incorporated into the mix. But low impact stuff like swimming, yoga, pilates, etc. can do wonders on your body. Weight training, too. And well, I like to count a long night of booty shaking on the dance floor as cross training. ;) When you're on the marathon course, other muscles will take over for muscles that are wearing out...and you want those muscles to be strong.

3. NERD - She likes to move. And strangely enough, teen pop stuff makes me want to run. Want me to make you a cd?

4. RBFers. Telling everyone and their brother that I was going to run the marathon. And definitely signing up early...there's no excuse for you to wait until the last minute to sign up. *cough* chicagomarathon.com ;)

5. In Chicago? Mike and I have both had the best experiences at Momentum (2001 N. Clybourn). They're so nice, extremely knowledgable, and well...they know their shit. Universal Sole, Running Away and Fleet Feet are great shops, too. I would avoid a place like Dick's, Niketown, Sport Authority, etc. because you won't get the gait analysis that you need to fit you in the best pair of shoes for your body. Shoes make the world of difference. The wrong pair can give you shin splints, promote IT band problems, and just do a number on your body. If you're going to invest $ in any gear, this is the place to do it.

Now...go show your folks who's boss (not Tony Danza!) and get training!!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Hi, Lauren!  Welcome to the Chicago Running Blog Community!

Exactly one year ago I was in the same position you were.  I had just started training for my first race (the Shamrock Shuffle) and had only an inkling that I could actually finish a marathon.

That's when all the Chicago runner bloggers like Running Jayhawk found my blog and loaded me with encouragement and advice.

Here's my two cents:

1)  Clothing -  It's all about the pants.  Go to the running or sports store and buy the most comfortable running pants you can find.  Spend $$$ because you get what you pay for.

2)  Cross training -  I myself go to the gym 2-3x per week for squats and lunges to strengthen my butt muscles and provide relief to my tired IT band.  Then I go across the street to the Hopleaf for beer training!

3)  Everyones' tastes are different, but most people prefer music that inspires them emotionally or at least keeps them awake.  For warmups I like Steely Dan.  For running my favorite band is Radio 4.  And for intensive speed work there is nothing like Black Sabbath!

4)  Nothing keeps me motivated like the fear of getting fat again.

5)  I used to buy my shoes at Fleet Feet (motto: "everybody pronates") but now that I know my favorite model I can go elsewhere and buy off the rack.

Good luck with your running!

By the way, you are invited to my Shamrock Shuffle After-Party.  Running Jayhawk can give you the details.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Ms Eva said...

1. What do you wear to run?
Technical gear - I have a running skirt and I absolutely love it!

2. What do you do on cross-training days?
Swim and Pilates.

3. What is your favorite song to run to?
I don't listen to music as I'm generally pushing 2 toddlers in a stroller - I need to be able to hear if they are arguing. :)

4. What keeps you motivated?
Improving and knowing that my kids look up to me - I'm setting an example for a healthy lifestyle.

5. And for the Chicagoans...
I'm not from Chicago.

11:40 AM  
Blogger miss petite america said...

1. always go for technical fabric. if you're on a budget (like me), you can get away with the stuff at target for shorter (ie: less sweaty) runs and when you have more money to splurge try the clearance rack at the running stores and/or race expos. you can get some REALLY good deals. and i do notice a difference between target technical gear and more expensive gear, but on short runs the difference isn't a big deal. and when i register for races, i ALWAYS upgrade to the technical fabric shirts if given the option.

NEVER skimp on socks. or sports bras. you can get just as good advice on the fit of your bra at running stores too.

and take good care of your technical fabric clothes. i always wash them on the gentle cycle and hang them to dry.

3. i am a pop/hiphop kinda girl but get surprised by random country or classical songs. check out pandora.com for music inspriation. it's a HUGE library of all kinds of music and helps you find songs and artists based on the kind of music you tell it you like.

4. motivation? inspiration? i know this sounds shallow but the scale and my skinny jeans are top motivators. that and knowing that staying in shape means i can dance the night away even when i'm 80.

also planning races in advance, having a training regimen and watching the weekly and monthly miles i rack up keep me motivated. you're on the right track by keeping a blog, a record of your progress. seeing how much you improve, and even seeing where you're weak all give you clues on how to be a better runner.

runners' world mag and other publications also feed my addiction :)

2:04 AM  
Blogger LeahC said...

welcome welcome welcome! here's my $0.02

1. Technical stuff all the way. I get a couple of really good expensive items and then they last forever. In the winter I wear tights/pants whatever a Nike turtleneck and a thicker jacket over it and that's it. Surprisingly warm & lightweight make running miles in the awful Chicago winters doable. In the summers, just running shorts and some kind of techincal t-shirt or tanktop.

2. I play volleyball...sometimes....or I'll try and go out for a walk. I would like to add biking in but haven't had the time yet.

3. Too many to list. Eye of the Tiger is always motivational.

4. Signing up way in advance for a race....I don't want to not show up so I know I have to get out there and train. If you are planning on running the Chicaog Marathon go ahead and sign up now.

5. Running Away on North Ave....or Fleet Feet....I have had some issues with Fleet Feet in the past due to some shitty service, but last time I was there the guy helping us was really nice and for every certain amount you spend you get $25 bucks back which with Jason and I buying shoes fairly often this will add up.

Welcome to the Chicago running crowd!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home